• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus extra for serving
• 4 ounces Cheddar cheese (1 cup), grated
• 2 tablespoons minced fresh herbs such as parsley, rosemary, and tarragon
• 1 large egg
• 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Butter the wells of a 12-cup (1/3-cup capacity) muffin pan.
Combine the dry ingredients in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse 2 to 3 times to blend. Add the butter and process for 10 to 15 seconds, or until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the cheese and herbs and pulse 2 to 3 times to blend. Add the egg and buttermilk, and process for 10 to 20 seconds, or until a soft dough forms. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups and bake for 20 to 23 minutes, or until the biscuits are lightly browned and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm with butter.
Yield: 1 dozen