Don’t be afraid to use leeks in your cooking, they are an excellent source of Vitamin C, iron and fiber.
- 1 Tbs. very thinly sliced green onion tops
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb. leeks (white and pale green parts), well rinsed and chopped
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 to 4 cups chicken/vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 4 thin lemon slices, seeded
In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook over low heat stirring occasionally until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Add leeks, potatoes, 3 cups broth and ginger. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat; let mixture cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer all solids in saucepan to food processor. Process until very smooth. With machine running, gradually add liquid in pan to processor. Return soup to saucepan. Bring to simmer, adding remaining broth for desired consistency. Season with salt and stir in lemon juice. Ladle into bowls. Garnish each with lemon slices and green onions if desired.