Azure Husbandry Australian Butter Squash Seed, Organic - 25 seeds
C. Maxima (90-100 days)
This rare Australian heirloom squash has peach-tan colored skin and thick, deep orange flesh that is creamy and buttery tasting, not to mention very sweet. The vines are vigorous and require quite a bit of space. The fruits weigh 6-12 lbs. and keep several months in storage. Open pollinated.
This squash seed was grown by Azure Husbandry here on the farm in Dufur, Oregon. The squash has become one of our family favorites! Excellent steamed or baked as a side dish or used in pies, cakes, or muffins.
Packet CONTAINS: 25 seeds
- SOWING: Sow seeds directly into the garden in late spring when the ground is warm and all danger of frost has passed or start indoors 2-3 weeks before setting outside. Plant seed 1/2" to 3/4" deep, covering with fine soil pressed firmly down.
- SPACING: Plant seeds approx. 12-18 inches apart in rows 2-3 feet apart. In wetter areas, seeds should be planted in hills, 6-8 seeds/hill.
- THINNING: Thin or transplant seeds to 3 sturdiest plants per hill when seedlings are 3-4 inches high.
- GERMINATION: 1 to 2 weeks, depending on weather. Keep soil moderately moist during germination.
- HARVESTING: Harvest when leaves get hit by a frost in the fall. Cut off the vine, leaving part of the stem attached to the squash. Cure in a warm, dry place for 2 weeks before eating. For long-term storage, keep in a dark, dry place at 50-55 degrees.