Azure Farm Black Beans Organic - 4 x 40 ozs.
Black Beans, Organic
Legumes have been used throughout the earth for thousands of years. They come in hundreds of shapes, sizes and colors, are versatile and amazingly convenient because they can be dried and stored for years. Soaking beans for a couple of hours brings them back to life, activating enzymes, proteins, minerals and vitamins.
Beans can be eaten raw, sprouted or cooked, ground into flour, curdled into tofu, fermented into soya sauce, tempi and miso. They are excellent in chilies, soups and salads. Beans are high in iron and packed with protein. They are also a rich source of thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, potassium, phosphorus and an excellent source of fiber and complex carbohydrates. They are low in sodium and saturated fats.
Black Beans are a staple of Latin American cuisine. They're commonly used as side dishes or in soups. They are jet black on the outside and cooking will cause a black discoloration of the water. Black beans are an excellent addition to rice dishes. Cook rice and beans separately. They are high in iron.
INGREDIENTS: Organic Black Beans.
Serving Size: 1/4 cup dry (56 g)
Servings Per Container: About 40 (5 lb. size)
Servings Per Container: About 20 (40 oz. size)
Nutrient Amount % DV
Calories from Fat 5
Total Fat 1 g 1%
Trans Fat -- g
Sodium 0 mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 35 g 12%
Dietary Fiber 8 g 31%
Sugars -- g
Protein 12 g
Not a significant source of saturated fat, cholesterol, vitamin A, and vitamin C.
- Basic cooking: For every 2 cups of beans add 10 cups of hot water. Heat to boiling, let boil 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and set aside for at least one hour, but preferably four hours or more. Discard the soak water. For simple boiled beans, place the soaked, rinsed and drained beans in a large saucepan with fresh hot water. Water level should come to about one inch above the beans. For 2 cups of dry packaged beans, a tablespoon of cooking oil may be added to reduce foaming and boil-overs; olive oil, butter or margarine also can be used for more distinctive flavors. If the water should foam, skim it off once or twice. Boil beans for 10 minutes, then simmer until tender (approximately 1 to 2 hours, depending on the variety). Add seasonings such as garlic, onion, oregano, parsley or thyme during the cooking time, if desired.
- Equivalents: 1 pound of dried beans = 2 cups dried beans = 6 cups of cooked beans.
- Azure Farm is located in the foothills east of Mt. Hood with a fantastic view of the Cascades and farm land in the valleys below. This is wheat growing country where dry-land farming produces an abundance of soft white wheat and other grains. But what makes our farm different from most other wheat farms is our growing practices. We’ve been growing organically for over 25 years, and are attempting to go beyond basic “organic” (which only ensures which harmful things have not been used). We try to keep up with organic soil amendments that will actually improve our soil, and consequently improve the food itself.
- Any items with the Azure Farm label which are not grown on Azure Farm, are from farms which we know have been growing organically for many years, doing whatever they can to ensure healthy soil, so the food on your table is also healthy.
- Why go organic? Organic foods are grown without synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, or herbicides. Organic foods are not genetically modified. Organic foods are grown in soil that is nurtured, not treated... which means top soil, groundwater, rivers, lakes, streams, watersheds, fish & wildlife, and people are not compromised. Healthy food grows in healthy soil. You can often taste the organic difference!